China vows to Keep Operating Oil Rig Opposed by Vietnam

From CHANNEL NEWSASIA

WASHINGTON: A top Chinese general vowed on Thursday his country would protect an oil rig in waters contested by Hanoi and ensure that it continued to operate despite angry protests in Vietnam.

“What we’re going to do is ensure the safety of the oil rig and ensure the operation will keep going on,” General Fang Fenghui, chief of the general staff of the People’s Liberation Army, told a news conference after talks at the Pentagon.

Vietnam had sent in ships to try to disrupt the drilling, he said through an interpreter, “and that is something that we are not able to accept.”

His comments came after anti-China protests in Vietnam left one Chinese worker dead and over 100 injured, with mobs torching foreign-owned factories.

Fang said China had shown “restraint” in the South China Sea and only now had set up an oil rig after other countries in the region already had started drilling.

“I don’t believe there is any problem with China doing this drilling activity within its own territorial waters,” the general said at a joint press briefing with his US counterpart, General Martin Dempsey.

Vietnam does not recognise the waters as under Chinese authority.

Fang also suggested America’s strategic “rebalance” to Asia had been exploited by some countries who wanted to check China’s growing economic power.

Click here to read more

Add Comment

By posting your comment, you agree to abide by our Posting rules

Text

© 2013 Energy Tribune

Scroll to top