EU Says Iran Not Responded to Nuclear Talks Proposal
Iran said earlier on Friday it had agreed to resume talks in January with six major powers – represented by the EU – but the EU spokesman said Tehran had not yet replied to proposals made on December 31.
“We offered dates and a venue, but we are still waiting to hear back from Iran,” said Michael Mann, spokesman for EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton, who leads negotiations on behalf of the United States, Russia, France, Britain, Germany and China.
Mann declined to say which dates and venue the EU had proposed.
The countries involved in the talks – particularly in the West – want to rein in Iran’s uranium enrichment work – which Tehran says is for peaceful purposes only but which produces material which, if processed further, can be used to make nuclear bombs.
By posting your comment, you agree to abide by our Posting rules