Japanse Nuclear Power Boss Admits Bad Habits
From TV NZ
The operator of a Japanese nuclear power plant that blew up after a tsunami last year said today its lack of safety and bad habits were behind the world’s worst nuclear accident in 25 years, its most forthright admission of culpability.
The operator – Tokyo Electric Power – said it accepted the findings of a parliamentary inquiry into the Fukushima nuclear disaster that accused the company of “collusion” with industry regulators.
An earthquake on March 11 last year generated a tsunami that smashed into the nuclear plant on Japan’s northeast coast and triggered equipment failures that led to meltdowns, and the spewing of large amounts of radiation into the air and sea.
Takefumi Anegawa, the head of a company reform task force, told a news conference the report by a parliamentary committee contained “so many descriptions about the lack of a safety culture and our bad habits”.
“We admit – we completely admit – that part of the parliamentary report,” Anegawa, told a news conference at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan.
He was responding to a question on whether the company accepted the parliamentary committee’s findings that the disaster was preventable, and the result of “collusion” between the company and regulators.
Several months ago, Tepco president Naomi Hirose said he was baffled by criticism of the company, which until recently has denied it could have foreseen the scale the tsunami and earthquake that knocked out cooling and power at the plant, despite warnings from scientists.
By posting your comment, you agree to abide by our Posting rules