Plant to Convert Gas to Liquid Fuel Planned in U.S.

From New York Times

By Clifford Krauss

In an ambitious bet that the glut of cheap natural gas in the United States will last for many years, a South African energy company announced on Monday that it would build America’s first commercial plant to convert natural gas to diesel and other liquid fuels.

The company, Sasol, which is based in Johannesburg, has been a pioneer in a technology that has tantalized energy scientists for decades over its potential to produce liquid fuels without using oil, which has historically cost far more than natural gas.

Having already built smaller plants in South Africa and Qatar, Sasol has designed its new Louisiana plant to produce 96,000 barrels of fuel a day using its “gas to liquids,” or G.T.L., technology. It will be the second-largest plant of its kind in the world, after Royal Dutch Shell’s Pearl plant in Qatar, and will cost $11 billion to $14 billion to build.

“By incorporating G.T.L. technology in the USA’s energy mix,” David Constable, Sasol’s chief executive, said in a statement, “states such as Louisiana will be able to advance the country’s energy independence through a diversification of supply.”

The facility will include a gas processing plant, a chemical plant and a refinery. All are required to perform the alchemy of converting natural gas into diesel, jet fuel and other chemical products.

What makes this southwestern corner of Louisiana attractive to Sasol is its proximity to bountiful shale gas fields just north of here and west in Texas. A boom in shale drilling has reduced the price of natural gas in the United States in the last four years by more than two-thirds, encouraging many energy and chemical companies to build and expand manufacturing plants around the Gulf of Mexico to produce a variety of petrochemicals.

Sasol estimated that the plant would create at least 1,200 permanent jobs and 7,000 construction jobs. Production is scheduled to begin in 2018. The state encouraged the project with more than $2 billion worth of tax credits and other incentives.

The company said it would put off previously announced plans to build a separate gas-to-liquids plant in Canada, giving priority to the Louisiana effort. The track record for the technology, conceived by German scientists in the 1920s, is not encouraging, mainly because of a history of construction cost overruns.

Shell’s new Pearl plant in Qatar, built with Qatar Petroleum for $19 billion, was over budget by a factor of three and has had stubborn maintenance concerns. Many other oil companies have looked at the process and declined to make the huge investments necessary.

Only a handful of gas-to-liquid plants operate commercially in Malaysia, South Africa and Qatar, and they collectively produce a bit more than 200,000 barrels of fuels and lubricants a day — the equivalent of less than 1 percent of global diesel demand.

Nevertheless, Shell is considering building its own G.T.L. plant on the Gulf Coast. Sasol and the Malaysian oil company Petronas are building a plant in Uzbekistan, and Sasol is joining Chevron to build one in Nigeria. Rosneft is planning a pilot project in Russia.

Profits have been elusive for the technology. To make it work, natural gas prices must remain low and prices for oil, diesel and jet fuel must remain high for a prolonged period.

Natural gas and diesel prices have historically been very unpredictable, and if enough companies build gas-to-liquids plants or find other uses for natural gas, demand would rise, putting upward pressure on prices.

In the United States, various companies have plans to build natural gas export terminals and promote more use of compressed natural gas for vehicles, as is done in many countries like Pakistan, Iran and Argentina.

“If you didn’t have cost overruns, and if you didn’t have maintenance unscheduled downtime, if everything worked perfectly, then G.T.L. plants look pretty good on paper,” said Don Hertzmark, an international energy consultant who has worked on gas-to-liquids and other natural gas projects for 30 years. “These plants are only economic with very low gas prices.”

Click here to read more

By posting your comment, you agree to abide by our Posting rules

Text

Comments (16)

• Hair Loss In Women July 12, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Nice weblog here! Additionally your web site rather a lot up fast! What host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink on your host? I desire my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

• grants employment homeschooling July 16, 2013 at 5:22 am

hi!,I like your writing very so much! percentage we keep up a correspondence more about your article on AOL? I need an expert on this space to unravel my problem. Maybe that’s you! Looking ahead to peer you.

• interior design jobs July 16, 2013 at 5:45 am

You really make it appear really easy along with your presentation but I to find this topic to be actually something which I feel I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very large for me. I’m having a look forward in your subsequent publish, I¡¦ll try to get the cling of it!

• homeschooling with your July 16, 2013 at 10:13 am

A person essentially assist to make critically articles I’d state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular publish extraordinary. Magnificent process!

• exploring furniture details July 17, 2013 at 4:42 pm

What i do not understood is actually how you are now not actually much more well-preferred than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You already know thus considerably when it comes to this matter, produced me in my opinion consider it from a lot of various angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be interested except it is one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding. All the time deal with it up!

• business earnings as July 18, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I haven¡¦t checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are good quality so I guess I will add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)

• Business Broker July 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I actually wanted to develop a simple remark in order to appreciate you for the superb solutions you are sharing here. My extensive internet lookup has at the end been rewarded with good quality facts and strategies to go over with my family. I ‘d tell you that we readers are truly fortunate to be in a perfect website with so many brilliant people with very helpful methods. I feel really happy to have used your web site and look forward to many more enjoyable minutes reading here. Thank you once more for all the details.

• Home Office Furniture July 20, 2013 at 10:05 am

You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation however I to find this topic to be actually one thing which I think I’d by no means understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your subsequent put up, I will try to get the hang of it!

• real estate July 21, 2013 at 3:28 am

Good ¡V I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task..

• interior design styles July 22, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I want to express some thanks to the writer just for rescuing me from this condition. Because of browsing throughout the internet and seeing proposals which are not beneficial, I thought my entire life was well over. Existing without the strategies to the issues you have resolved by means of this posting is a crucial case, as well as the ones that could have adversely affected my career if I had not noticed your blog. Your main expertise and kindness in maneuvering a lot of things was useful. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come upon such a stuff like this. I am able to now look forward to my future. Thanks very much for your expert and sensible guide. I won’t be reluctant to propose your web blog to any individual who needs to have guidelines on this situation.

• Apple iPhone July 22, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I enjoy you because of all your valuable effort on this website. Gloria takes pleasure in working on research and it is obvious why. Almost all know all concerning the powerful manner you give invaluable tricks via your web site and as well improve response from other ones about this article and our princess has always been studying so much. Have fun with the rest of the year. You have been performing a wonderful job.

• fashion games July 23, 2013 at 4:37 am

I precisely desired to appreciate you yet again. I’m not certain the things that I might have used in the absence of the type of thoughts discussed by you relating to my situation. It had become a very distressing concern in my view, nevertheless observing the skilled form you dealt with it forced me to weep with fulfillment. Now i’m happier for your guidance and sincerely hope you are aware of a powerful job that you’re carrying out educating many others all through a web site. Probably you have never encountered any of us.

• property investment July 23, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I together with my guys happened to be checking out the nice key points on the website while the sudden came up with an awful feeling I had not thanked the blog owner for those tips. These guys happened to be certainly glad to read through them and have in actuality been having fun with these things. Thank you for indeed being well helpful as well as for obtaining this sort of fantastic information millions of individuals are really needing to be aware of. My personal sincere regret for not saying thanks to sooner.

• educational games July 26, 2013 at 4:56 am

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

• Educational Technology July 27, 2013 at 5:55 am

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

• SUV August 6, 2013 at 7:39 am

I have been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.